Starting out

Although I've been teaching art for 10 years, I feel that I am only just starting out as an artist. I have finally given myself permission to take the time I need to be creative, after many years of making excuses. It's exciting and liberating, but also frightening too!

Last year I read a book that completely changed my ideas around being an artist. If you haven't read Big Magic, by Elizabeth Gilbert  please go and check it out. In my opinion this is hands down the best book you will ever read on creativity. (She also has a podcast series on the subject, called Magic Lessons.)

The first chapter is all about COURAGE. Through an anecdote she poses the reader the question: do you have the courage to bring forth the treasures that are hidden within you? Sadly, this was the first time in a long time that I had even considered that there might BE hidden treasures within me, let alone have the courage to make them manifest. Over the course of my adult life I had lost connection with those treasures as well as my skill to bring them forth. I was deeply rooted in fear. 'When courage dies, creativity dies with it', says Gilbert.

Big Magic recognises the fear that lives within creative people. In fact Gilbert lists the various fears for almost three pages. You're afraid you have no talent... you're afraid you'll be rejected.... you're afraid there's no market for your creativity... you're afraid somebody else has done it better....

I realised I had more fears around creativity than I thought. And Big Magic let me hold those fears, recognise them for what they are and where they are coming from. But then the book helped me see that fear is boring. Fear has led me to nothingness. With fear in control, I was producing nothing. I taught art all day long but couldn't muster up something from myself. I had lots of excuses as to why I wasn't making anything, however, most of it came down to avoidance out of fear.

This had to change. I realised that I would have to learn to live with my fear, and push on with my creativity anyway. I had a new found courage to just start putting it out there, regardless of the outcome. Because in the end, it would be worth it. Even if all my worst fears came true, it would still be worth it because I would be making things again. And when I'm creating, I'm in my own little happy land, getting closer to the hidden treasures within.

Maybe you are just starting out too. Maybe you're scared too. I encourage you to join me - say hi or follow me on my new Instagram 

Maybe you're well ahead of me, in which case I'd love to hear from you too! What was your journey towards being an artist?

Until next time,


Erin








Comments

Popular Posts