Be authentic, not original


Tiger totem
This week I’ve been reflecting on my earlier post on artist stereotypes and have been thinking about originality in art. Does art need to be original? Can all artists be original? I write these posts to share my art teacher knowledge and artistic process, but also as a way to take stock of my inner ramblings and questions. This year I’ve been following the art curriculum I teach and putting the studio process to work. And I’ve hit a rut. In the last couple of weeks, I’ve encountered some fierce creative block and I’ve really started to doubt myself. All of a sudden, I think my ideas stink and I’m ashamed of how unoriginal and cliché it’s all become. Lucky for me, I’ve been writing this blog and have a trick up my sleeve to beat this sort of conundrum.


On top of my mentor tree is Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Big Magic. As soon as I see her picture, I know what she’s going to tell me (yes, I talk to my mentor tree, and real trees for that matter, and I’m not afraid to show it). She says to stop worrying about originality and focus more on authenticity.

Yes, my idea has probably already been done. Most things have already been done and there’s not that much room for 100% pure originality. Gilbert reminds us in Big Magic that “after Shakespeare was finished with his run of literature, he’d pretty much covered every storyline there is but that didn’t stop five centuries of writers from exploring them all over again.” Yes, the idea has already been done, maybe it’s been done so many times it’s a cliché. So what? It hasn’t been done by you, says Gilbert.

Original and creative are often seen as synonyms, and so it naturally leads into thinking artists should be original if they are to be creative. But problems can arise if it is just being original for originality’s sake. Sometimes, attempts at originality can feel forced or fake. Which brings us to authenticity.

To be authentic means to represent one’s true nature or beliefs; to be true to oneself. It means laying bare all that you have to offer and be comfortable with the vulnerability in that.

“To be authentic, we must cultivate the courage to be imperfect — and vulnerable. We have to believe that we are fundamentally worthy of love and acceptance, just as we are." - Brené Brown


Authentic artists allow their art to be imperfect. They allow it to be whatever they could manage at that time. They allow it to speak of who they are and what they believe, even if it has already been said by someone else. And they accept their art for what it is – theirs. This is a lesson I have to learn over and over through times of creative struggle. I have to remember to stop comparing myself and judging my art and just let it be. In essence, this is what this blog is all about. I’m not trying to be different or special, I’m just trying to find who I am as an artist. This means getting out of my head and letting my heart lead. Again, probably a tad cliché but I'm ok with that.

As artists, we want to make great art. We want to be seen as unique and innovative, and we want to make connections with our audience. The key to connection is to be authentic. And as Gilbert says, if it’s authentic enough, it will feel original.

Until next time,

Erin

Comments

Popular Posts