Grit & Grace


I’ve been away from this blog for longer than I had anticipated, but I’ve finally met my goal for the year and produced two finished drawings (really big ones!!) as part of my challenge to follow the Year 12 Studio Arts curriculum that I teach. Two pieces, united in their style and meaning, couldn’t have been more different to actually create! Totally different experiences and two different states of mind that I see-saw between. I call these two states Grit and Grace.

Erin Sinclair "Crucifixion" 2019
During the creation of my first work, “Crucifixion”, I experienced grace and ease. For long stretches of time I could draw smooth lines as I wanted them and layer colours as I envisaged them. I had trialed a smaller mock-up and I was confident in scaling it up 4 times larger. Everything just worked! It wasn’t easy every step of the way but in hindsight it was pretty effortless. It’s the creative experience that every artist wants – synced with my creative genius, losing 40 or so hours in my happy place. A state of grace.

Then there’s my second piece, “Extinction”. I had also made a small mock-up of this piece and was happy with the colour scheme and overall composition, but enlarging this piece had so many problems. The lines and angles in the mandala were a bit less technical in my draft but it looked good. When I tried to get technical with angles the whole piece looked different and it looked stiff to me. In fact, the whole piece looks a bit stiff because I felt stiff. Lines were not smooth – I completely botched her chin when inking and had no idea how to fix it! With a self-imposed deadline looming I put in some big days colouring and burnishing. I suffered RSI and a stiff neck. I dreaded sitting down at the desk because all the imperfections seemed to just stare at me. I noticed my resistance creeping in. But I was committed to my goal and the idea of not finishing was worse than the struggle.

Erin Sinclair "Extinction" 2019
This is where grit comes in. When grace is a no-show the only way to get through the creative process is through sheer courage, resilience and resolve. It’s important to show up on the days that you don’t want to. When I first started out using my days off to create art, I procrastinated a lot. Now I have a solid routine that funnels me into my studio and keeps me there. I’ll share more about how a routine or ritual can help funnel you into a creative mindset another time.

For now, I have two artworks that I’m really happy with. They’re big, colourful and speak of issues that are close to my heart. And I still have a few others up my sleeve! To follow my progress check out my Instagram account.

Until next time,

Erin.

Comments

Popular Posts